Topics > Cumbria > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Westlinton Civil Parish > Westlinton War Memorial

Westlinton War Memorial


The war memorial for the Parish of Westlinton is located in the churchyard of St John's Church in Blackford. The memorial was unveiled on the 20th of February 1921 by Major Irwin of Justicetown and dedicated by the Bishop of Carlisle.[1] It was dedicated to 4 servicemen from the parish who lost their lives in the First World War. Later, the names of 3 local men who were killed in the Second World War were also inscribed on the monument.
Westlinton Civil Parish War Memorials Church of St John the Baptist, Blackford
from Geograph (geograph)
Church of St John the Baptist, Blackford - October 2017 (3)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memo...
Blackford and Westlinton
- Photo © Stuart Nicholson (WMR-4259):, available for reuse for non-commercial purposes under the IWM Non Commercial Licence.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Church of St John the Baptist, Blackford
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St John the Baptist, Blackford
- Overview Map Street View  
from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memo...
BLACKFORD AND WESTLINTON
- "....Celtic Cross with wheel surmounting tapered plinth & base, all in granite. WW1 inscription on front face, and WW2 on 3 o'clock side face...."

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES