Wasdale Head, 1848
WASDALE-HEAD, with Eskdale, a chapelry, in the parish of St. Bees, union of Bootle, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 11 miles (S.W. by S.) from Keswick; containing 375 inhabitants, of whom 35 are in Wasdale-Head. It is pleasantly situated at the head of Wast-water lake, in a narrow valley almost surrounded by lofty hills. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £80; patron, the Incumbent of St. Bees. The chapel is very small.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.