Warden Law Township, 1848
WARDEN-LAW, a township, in the parish and union of Houghton-le-Spring, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 8½ miles (N.E.) from Durham; containing 60 inhabitants. It was formerly the property of the families of Claxton and Bowes, and, early in the 17th century, of the Belasyse family. The township is east of the road between Sunderland and Durham, and comprises by measurement 440 acres, of which 240 are arable, 193 grass-land, 1 wood, and 6 waste. It forms a lofty eminence, the highest ground on the coast of Durham, and is crossed by a railway having a steam-engine on the summit, for drawing up and letting down waggons employed in conveying coal from the Hetton pits. The only remains of the vill of Warden are a few straggling cottages along the side of the ancient tract called Salters-way.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.