List number: 1439580
List grade: 2
Grid ref: NZ2265141668

War Memorial, New Brancepeth


The war memorial in New Brancepeth is located outside the Village Hall on Rock Terrace. It was unveiled on the 6th of July 1923 by Colonel J.R. Ritson OBE and dedicated by Rev. G. Mack. The memorial was built to commemorate 91 local servicemen who died in the First World War. Almost half of the £1,060 cost of the memorial was contributed by stoppages on the miners’ wages.[1] After the Second World War the names of 18 local men who died in that conflict were also inscribed on the monument. The memorial is Grade II listed.

from Geograph (geograph)
New Brancepeth Village Hall

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
New Brancepeth War Memorial
- "....The c6.5m tall memorial stands in front of New Brancepeth Village Hall (formerly the Miners’ Institute, not listed). In polished red granite, it comprises a two stage base, square ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
New Brancepeth at War
  Co-Curate Page
New Brancepeth at War
- During the First World War the Illustrated Chronicle published photographs of soldiers and sailors from Newcastle and the North East of England. These have been made available by Newcastle Libraries.
from http://www.newmp.org.uk/det...
Monument 1914-18 1939-45 Village - New Brancepeth

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES