War Memorial, Gainford


The memorial, dedicated to the people of Gainford, County Durham, who gave their lives in the First World War is located in the church yard of  St Mary's Parish Church. It was unveiled on 19th March 1921 by Sir Arthur Pease and dedicated by Rev. H.C. Watson.[1]. The memorial was designed by Rev. Watson’s daughter, inspired by an early-medieval cross from Gainford. The dedication for the Second Word War was made on the 17th November 1953. The memorial is Grade II listed. [2]
from Geograph (geograph)
War Memorial, Gainford

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Mary's Church, Gainford

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Gainford War Memorial

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Mary's Parish Church, Gainford, War Memorial

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.newmp.org.uk/det...
Cross 1914-18 1939-45 St. Mary's Churchyard
- Full details of the memorial, including a transcript of the inscribed names.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
Gainford War Memorial - List Entry
- "Gainford War Memorial was unveiled on 19 March 1921 by Sir Arthur Pease (High Sheriff of Durham) and dedicated by the vicar, Reverend HC Watson. The address was given by ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES