List number: 1355121
List grade: 2
Grid ref: NZ1886863029

War Memorial, Blaydon


The War Memorial is located outside the cemetry on Shibdon Road in Blaydon. The memorial was unveiled on the 7th of April 1923, dedicated to 201 local men lost in the First World War.[1] It was unveiled by Miss Cowen and dedicated by the Rev. E.V. Simpkinson, Rector of Stella St.Cuthbert’s. The memorial was later also dedicated to those lost in the Second World War. The memorial is Grade II listed.

from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
010459:Blaydon War MemorialC.1930

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
WAR MEMORIAL ABOUT 7 METRES NORTH OF MORTUARY CHAPELS - Blaydon - List Entry
- "War memorial. Statue of World War One soldier. Square pedestal with names of dead of 2 World Wars on all 4 sides, surrounded by low curb of white granite with ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.blaydonwinlatonw...
Blaydon War Memorial - the unveiling
- "UNVEILED - 7 APRIL 1923 Built in granite at a cost of £1000.00, the subscription fund was started by Miss Jane Cowen and Col. Joseph Cowen who each gave £200 ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.newmp.org.uk/det...
Blaydon - Statue 1914-18 1939-45 Cemetery
- Details of the war memorial and list of names inscribed.

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES