Waldridge Township, 1848
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
WALDRIDGE, a township, in the parish and union of Chester-le-Street, Middle division of Chester ward, county of Durham, 1½ mile (S.W.) from Chesterle-Street; containing 432 inhabitants. This place was long the estate of the Lumleys, of whom John, Lord Lumley, alienated it to the Smith family in 1607; it has since passed through various families. The township comprises 795 acres. A coal-pit has been opened; and on a common of between 200 and 300 acres, immediately above it, appears a vein of lead-ore. The tithes were commuted in 1841, for a rent-charge of £63, payable to the perpetual curate of the parish. There is a place of worship for dissenters, which is also used as a day school.