Topics > Cumbria > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Lower Allithwaite Civil Parish > Upper Holker

Upper Holker


HOLKER UPPER, a township, in the parish of Cartmel, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 1¾ mile (N. by W.) from Cartmel; containing 1,114 inhabitants. Walton, now named Upper Holker, and Barnegath, are ranked as a bailiwick in the grant of a manor of Cartmel, in fee farm, in 1641. The seat here of the Bigland family stands near the summit of a hill whose sides are hung with spring wood, and in front is a fine tarn abounding with wild-fowl: the views embrace the Fells of Furness, the sands of Leven, and the Pile of Fouldrey, with the extensive bay of Morecambe, which at the height of the tide appears little short of an ocean. The old mansion called Walton Hall is said to have been the residence of William de Walton, prior of Cartmel. A school is endowed with about £130 per annum, almost entirely derived from land; and there is another, endowed with £44. 10. per annum.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Lower Allithwaite Civil Parish Cartmel Parish, 1848

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES