Under Skiddaw, Township, 1848
UNDER-SKIDDAW, a township, m the parish of Crosthwaite, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 6 miles (N.N.W.) from Keswick; containing 549 inhabitants. A school is supported by donations amounting to nearly £100 a year; and a handsome school-house has been erected at High Hill, in the township, at the expense of James Stanger, Esq., in which girls are taught on the national system.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.