Tunstall Township, 1848
TUNSTALL, a township, in the parish of Bishop Wearmouth, union of Sunderland, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 2¾ miles (S. by W.) from Sunderland; containing 64 inhabitants. The township lies between the road from Sunderland to Durham, and that from Sunderland to Stockton; and comprises about 760 acres, mostly arable land. It is chiefly remarkable for the hills named after it, which form one of the most prominent features of the district, being a long monotonous chain or ridge of limestone, running from north to south, and terminating in two depressed round summits; the eastern ascent is tame and gradual, but the western rises rapidly from a deep and romantic gill. From these hills fine views of the sea and of Sunderland are presented; and they form a good landmark for mariners. Imbedded in the limestone have been found fossils, and a considerable quantity of iron-ore. There are some vestiges of a Druidical circle; and a rude sepulchre, constructed with fragments of stone, was discovered in 1814. The tithes have been commuted for £182. 15. 3. A division of waste lands took place in 1671.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.