Tudhoe Townshop, 1848
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
TUDHOE, a township, in the parochial chapelry of Whitworth, S. E. division of Darlington ward, union, and S. division of the county, of Durham, 5 miles (S. by W.) from Durham; containing 327 inhabitants. This township, anciently called Tudhowe, comprises by computation 1,770 acres of land. The village, which is reputed as being very healthy, is pleasantly situated near the source of a brook, about a mile south of the river Wear. The tithes have been commuted for £167.13. 3., payable to the rector of Brancepeth.