Torpenhow Parish, 1848
TORPENHOW (St. Michael), a parish, in the poorlaw union of Wigton, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland; including the townships of Bewaldeth with Snittlegarth, Blennerhassett with Kirkland, and Bothel with Threapland; and containing 1,067 inhabitants, of whom 315 are in the township of Torpenhow with Whitrigg, 2½ miles (W. by N.) from Ireby. This parish, which is bounded on the north by the river Ellen, abounds with freestone and limestone. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £33. 6. 8., and in the gift of the Bishop of Carlisle: the tithes were commuted for land under inclosure acts, in 1807 and 1814. The church is principally in the Norman style; the roof of carved oak, is painted and curiously embellished, On a hill called Caer Mot, are the remains of a square double intrenchment, intersected by the old road from Keswick to Old Carlisle; near it is a smaller encampment, defended by a rampart and fosse.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.