The manor of Tocketts is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086, in which it was named as Tosceton. Tocketts Mill, fields, woodland and the valley of Tocketts Beck were purchased by the first Earl of Zetland (1766-1839). In 1872, Tocketts was recorded as a township in Guisbrough parish, having 11 houses, with a population of 55. Tocketts Ironstone Mine was established in c.1873, but was abandoned in 1880. There is no village of Tocketts as such, but of note are Tocketts Mill and Tocketts House (farm).