TOCKETTS, a township, in the parish and union of Guisborough, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 1¾ mile (N. by E.) from Guisborough; containing 43 inhabitants. This place, at the time of the Domesday survey, was called Toscutun, and belonged to the Earl of Morton; it afterwards came to the family of de Brus, and was more recently held by the Thwengs, Tocketts, and others. Here was a chapel dedicated to St. James, which was connected with the priory of Guisborough. The township is in the district called Cleveland, and comprises 584 acres, of which 384 are arable, 170 meadow and pasture, and 30 woodland and plantation; the soil is a rich loam, the surface undulated, and the high lands command a fine view of the sea and the Cleveland hills. The manufacture of tiles and bricks is carried on, for which there is abundance of excellent clay. The tithes have been commuted for £130, payable to the Archbishop of York.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.