Topics > Cumbria > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Thursby Civil Parish

Thursby Civil Parish


Parish boundaries may have changed - for the latest map see the Parish Council or Cumbria County Council.

About the Parish

Main Settlements:

Thursby (village) and hamlets including Crofton, Micklethwaite, Moorend, Parton, Whinnow

Population:

1,216  (2011 Census)

1,185  (2001 Census)

Area: 12.7 km2
Parish Council: Thursby Parish Council
District Council: Allerdale Borough Council
County Council: Cumbria County Council

Historical

Ancient Parish:

Thursby Parish  (St Andrew), including:

Ancient parishes refer to the parishes before the split between ecclesiastical (church) and civil parishes in the 19th century. They had a parish church and often were composed of multiple townships and chapelries. In many cases, townships and parishes were originally based on the territory of manors from the feudal system during medieval times. Civil parishes were created following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1866, in which Church of England parishes, extra-parochial areas, townships and chapelries, became "civil parishes" which could set their own poor rate (tax). Then the reforms of Local Government Act 1894 established elected civil parish councils (or parish meetings for parishes with less than 300 residents) and created urban and rural districts. Boundaries of parishes and civil parishes may have changed over time.

Ancient District:

East (ward)

Poor Law Union:

Wigton Poor Law Union, formed in 1836.

Wigton Union Workhouse was located on Cross Street, Wigton, which was built in 1842 to house up to 250 inmates. Prior to that there had been smaller workhouses in Caldbeck, Oulton, Glasson, and Wigton.

Under the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 parishes were grouped into Unions, each of which had to build a workhouse if they did not already have one. It ended the old system of locally provided poor relief which had come under strain as numbers out of work grew, following increasing mechanisation of agriculture and the economic downturn after the Napoleonic Wars, along with changing social attitudes. The workhouse provided those unable to support themselves financially with accommodation and work. Inmates were generally segregated into men, women, boys and girls. 

The workhouse system was abolished by the Local Government Act 1929, but many workhouses lived on as ‘Public Assistance Institutions’ until the National Assistance Act 1948.

County:

Cumberland, until 1974, then:

Cumbria, which was created on the 1st of April 1974, following the Local Government Act 1972. The new county absorbed Cumberland and Westmorland, and added some parts of Lancashire and the West Riding of Yorkshire.

District Council:

Wigton Rural District (1894 - 1974)

Allerdale Borough (1974 - )  Created by the Local Government Act 1972. Allerdale absorbed the former municipal borough of Workington; the urban districts of Maryport, Cockermouth and Keswick; and the rural districts of Cockermouth and Wigton.

See also:  Historic Buildings and Monuments in Thursby Civil Parish. Note: listed buildings are generally the responsibility of the county council / unitary authority, rather than the parish council.

Civil Parishes in Cumbria Thursby Crofton Micklethwaite, Cumbria Parton, Allerdale Historic Buildings and Monuments in Thursby Civil Parish Thursby Parish, 1848
from http://thursbyonline.co.uk/
Thursby Parish Council
- "Thursby Parish Council is committed to working for the good of the whole of Thursby Parish. Much of our work stems from the actions created from the Community Led plan ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Thursby
  Co-Curate Page
Thursby
- Overview About Thursby Map Street View Thursby is a village in the Allerdale district of Cumbria, located about 6 miles south-west of Carlisle and 4 miles east of Wigton. There ...
Micklethwaite, Cumbria
  Co-Curate Page
Micklethwaite, Cumbria
- Overview Map Street View Micklethwaite is a hamlet in the Allerdale district of Cumbria, located on the A596 road, just over 2 miles north-east of Wigton and 2 miles west of ...
Parton, Allerdale
  Co-Curate Page
Parton, Allerdale
- Overview Map Street View Parton is a hamlet in the Allerdale district of Cumbria, located near the River Wampool and about 2 miles north-east of Wigton and 3 miles north-west of ...
Crofton
  Co-Curate Page
Crofton
- CROFTON, a township, in the parish of Thursby, union of Wigton, Cumberland ward, and E. division of Cumberland, 3¼ miles (E.N.E.) from Wigton; containing 80 inhabitants. It is situated on ...
from https://www.cumbriacountyhi...
Thursby
- "Ancient parish in Cumberland ward, Cumberland, containing three townships of High & Low Thursby, Crofton, and Parton & Micklethwaite....manor of Thursby held by Guy de Boyvill of Kirksanton in mid-13th century ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES