Throston Township, 1848
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
THROSTON, a township, in the parish of Hart, union of Stockton, N.E. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 3¾ miles (W.) from Hartlepool; containing 101 inhabitants. This district, which adjoins Tunstall in the parish of Strantou, has always formed part of the Hart estate, or belonged to the same proprietors. It was conveyed, with Hart, by the Earl of Cumberland to Lord Lumley in 1586; and was also included in the sale of the Hart property for £72,000, by the Earl of Scarborough to Sir George Pocock, in 1772. The township comprises about 1,050 acres, and the village is situated a mile and a half southsouth-east of Hart. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £201. 5., and the vicarial for £28. 12.