List grade: 1
List number: 1042759
Wikipedia: Morpeth Chantry
Keys to the Past HER: N11533
Grid ref: NZ2004285889

The Chantry, Morpeth


 

Morpeth Chantry also known as All Saints Chantry is a Grade I listed building situated adjacent to the site of the ancient bridge across the River Wansbeck at Morpeth, Northumberland.

It was built in about 1296 and served both as a chapel dedicated to All Saints and as a toll house for the river crossing. The duties of the appointed chaplain also included those of schoolmaster.

The suppression of the monasteries by Henry VIII was followed in 1547 by the suppression of chantries by Edward VI and the building was deconsecrated. In 1552 a Royal Charter was granted for the establishment of a free grammar school. The school now known as King Edward VI School occupied the site until a new school was built elsewhere in the Borough in 1859.

Thereafter the building was occupied for a variety of commercial purposes including a mineral water factory. In 1974 the neglected and deteriorating property was acquired by the local authority and after restoration and refurbishment was opened for community use in 1984. Tenants occupying the building include Northumbria Craft Centre, Morpeth Chantry Bagpipe Museum, and the Tourist Information Office

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 03/03/2017).
Visit the page: Morpeth Chantry for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
from Flickr (flickr)
IMGP4640

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Morpeth - Chantry Chapel

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Morpeth Chantry

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Chantry, Morpeth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Information plaque, The Chantry

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Chantry, Morpeth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Plaque to Dr. William Turner

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
THE CHANTRY - Morpeth - List Entry
- "Former chantry chapel of All Saints, later a grammar school and various other uses. Now used as tourist information centre. c.1300 and 1738. Random rubble to older parts. Later ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES