Topics > Cumbria > St John's in the Vale > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Temple Sowerby Civil Parish > Temple Sowerby, 1848
Temple Sowerby, 1848
SOWERBY, TEMPLE, a chapelry, in the parish of Kirkby-Thore, East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 7 miles (N.W.) from Appleby; containing 381 inhabitants. The village is situated on the river Eden, which is here crossed by a bridge considered to be the finest in the county, erected in 1823, at an expense of £3,700, on the site of a structure destroyed by a flood in 1822. There are two spacious streets of wellbuilt houses, with several inns; and the vicinity contains many villas inhabited by genteel families. Fairs for sheep and cattle are held on the last Thursdays in Jan., Feb., March, June, July, August, and October, and on the second Thursday in May. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £96; patron, the Earl of Thanet. A rent-charge of £155 has been awarded as a commutation for the tithes. The chapel, dedicated to St. James, is a handsome structure of red freestone, with a tower and portico; it was built on the site of the old chapel, in 1770, at the expense of Sir William Dalston. There is a place of worship for Independents. The Knights Templars had a preceptory here, which, when suppressed in 1312, was given to the Hospitallers.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Add a comment or share a memory.