SWINHOE, a township, in the parish of Bambrough, N. division of Bambrough ward, union of Belford, N. division of Northumberland, 9½ miles (S.E. by E.) from Belford; containing 118 inhabitants. It comprises 1476 acres, of which two-thirds are arable, and the remainder good pasture land, with about 100 acres of plantation; the whole the property of Mr. Tewart, of Glanton, with the exception of 160 acres belonging to the Duke of Northumberland. The surface is undulated, and the soil a strong loam; coal and limestone are in abundance, and from the clay obtained here, draining-tiles are made. The sea bounds the township on the east. The tithes have been commuted for £50. 2. payable to the impropriators, and £12. 18. to the perpetual curate of Bambrough.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.