Strickland Roger, 1848
STRICKLAND-ROGER, a township, in the parish, union, and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland, 4 miles (N.) from Kendal; containing 412 inhabitants. It is bounded on the west by the river Kent, and on the east by the Sprint; and comprises 3124a. 3r., of which 1,291 acres are arable, 200 pasture, 33 woodland, and about 1600 common now inclosed. Near Garnet-bridge is a mill for the manufacture of bobbin, and at Cowen Head is a paper-mill. The tithes have been commuted for £102. 8. 8½. At a place called Hundhow was anciently a chapel, named Chapel-en-le-Wood.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.