Stapleton Parish, Cumberland, 1848
STAPLETON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Longtown, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland; containing, with the townships of Bellbank, Solport, and Trough, 1,170 inhabitants, of whom 550 are in Stapleton township, 8 miles (N.) from Brampton. The parish is situated on the river Leven or Line, over which is a neat bridge; and comprises about 13,930 acres, whereof about 50 or 60 are woodland, and the remainder arable and pasture, in nearly equal portions. The soil is generally cold, lying on a retentive clay; the surface is hilly. On the north bank of the river are the remains of Shank Castle; and in the vicinity coal has been found, of which a mine is in operation. An act for dividing and inclosing Wakeyhill common here, was passed in 1842. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £1. 8. 11½.; net income, £98; patron, the Earl of Carlisle. The church was rebuilt in 1829.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.