Topics > County Durham > Stainton Grove > Stainton Camp

Stainton Camp


Part of the site was used for Blackbeck POW Camp during the Second World War.

Stainton Camp is a military installation at Stainton, County Durham.

History

The camp was built in 1941 during the Second World War and served as part of the Battle School before the school moved to Warminster in 1945. Another section of the site was allocated as Blackbeck Prisoner of War Camp during the war. After the war married quarters were built on that part of the site now known as Stainton Grove. The camp went on to be used as a holding facility for units about to deploy on operations and, notably, the Green Howards prepared there for the Suez Crisis. Most of the camp closed in 1972 but parts of it remain in use as a cadet training centre.

Other military installations in the local area were Barford Camp (used as military accommodation into the 1960s but now a motor sports racing track), Deerbolt Camp (used as military accommodation into the 1960s, decommissioned in the early 1970s and now HM Prison Deerbolt), Humbleton Camp (also part of the Battle School during the Second World War, decommissioned in 1960 and now a chalet development) Streatlam Camp (used as military accommodation until 1970, when 6 Armoured Brigade returned to Germany, and now demolished) and Westwick Camp (used as military accommodation into the late 1950s, decommissioned in 1960 and now demolished).

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 01/07/2019).
Visit the page: Stainton Camp for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
Stainton Grove Streatlam Camp (WW2)
from Geograph (geograph)
WW2 army hut at Stainton Grove

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
A former school building at Stainton Grove Industrial Estate

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Streatlam Camp (WW2)
  Co-Curate Page
Streatlam Camp (WW2)
from https://www.bbc.co.uk/histo...
Blackbeck POW Camp, Stainton, Co. Durham - by Eileen Ohara
- In April 1942 and May 1944 the War Department purchased more land between Stainton Camp and the Darlington and Barnard Castle railway line which ran south of the camp. Black ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Stainton WW2 POW Camp, County Durham
- "This is the location of a German working camp within the established allied training camp constructed during WWII. The site was identified during a national survey conducted by English Heritage ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES