Topics > Cumbria > Carlisle > Carlisle, Historical Account, 1848 > St Mary's Carlisle Parish, 1848

St Mary's Carlisle Parish, 1848


Carlisle is comprised within the two parishes of St. Mary and St. Cuthbert, which respectively contain, including parts without the city, 13,576 and 10,965 inhabitants. The living of St. Mary's is a perpetual curacy; net income, £90; patrons, the Dean and Chapter; appropriators, the Bishop, and the Dean and Chapter. The church is part of the nave of the cathedral. The living of St. Cuthbert's is a perpetual curacy; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter; net income, £157, with a glebe-house. The church, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, Bishop of Lindisfarn, is a plain edifice, built in the year 1778, at the cost of the inhabitants, upon the site of the ancient structure. Two district churches, namely, Trinity, in the parish of St. Mary, and Christ Church, in that of St. Cuthbert, were completed in Sept. 1830, at an expense of £13,212, of which £4030 were subscribed by the inhabitants, and the remainder granted by the Parliamentary Commissioners; the first stone of each was laid on Sept. 25th, 1828: they are in the early style of English architecture, each having a tower surmounted by a spire. The patrons of both are the Dean and Chapter. Upperby and Wreay, also, form separate incumbencies....

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Carlisle, Historical Account, 1848 Cummersdale Rickergate, Carlisle Wreay, 1848 Middlesceugh Caldewgate
Cummersdale
  Co-Curate Page
Cummersdale
- Overview Map Street View High Cummersdale is a village in the City of Carlisle district of Cumbria, located about 1½ miles south-east of Carlisle city centre. The village includes Cummersdale ...
Caldewgate
  Co-Curate Page
Caldewgate
- Caldewgate is a district of the City of Carlisle. CALDEWGATE, a township, in the parish of St. Mary, city and union of Carlisle, E. division of Cumberland; containing 5,558 inhabitants. ...
Wreay, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Wreay, 1848
- WREAY, a chapelry, in the parish of St. Mary, union of Carlisle, Cumberland ward, E. division of the county of Cumberland, 5¾ miles (S.E. by S.) from Carlisle; containing 151 ...
Middlesceugh
  Co-Curate Page
Middlesceugh
- Overview Map Middlesceugh is a hamlet in the Eden district of Cumbria, located about 8 miles south of Carlisle and 10 miles north-west of Penrith. It is part of the ...
  Co-Curate Page
Rickergate, Carlisle
- Overview Map Street View Rickergate is an area (and street) of Carlisle. The Civic Centre and Magistrates Court are located on Rickergate. Historically, Rickergate was a township of the ancient ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES