St. Leonard's Hospital, Tynemouth


St. Leonard’s Hospital was built during the 13th Century and the earliest documentary evidence is an assize roll of 1293 which mentions “the bridge of the hospital of Saint Leonard”. The foundations were discovered in 1885 by workmen laying out Northumberland Park in Spital Dean.

"The location of the hospital does suggest it may have been a Leper Hospital because of its remote location away from Tynemouth township. Situated on the only road from Newcastle to Tynemouth where the Prior of Tynemouth held markets on Sundays from 1275 meant there would be many people travelling across the Spital Bridge. Medieval Hospitals are known to be quite commonly situated close to bridges which had important symbolic religious connotations and beggars or lepers stationed there could collect alms from all those crossing." (Source: Friends of Northumberland Park)

from http://e-voice.org.uk/frien...
St Leonards Medieval Hospital
- Part of the Website of the New Friends of Northumberland Park. Includes a summary of the history of the hospital and photos of the archaeological excavations.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(131): Tynemouth, St. Leonard's Hospital
- SiteLines - Historic Environment Record

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES