St Lawrence Colliery (c1831 - c1934)


Also known as Mushroom Colliery. The mine reached the Low Main coal seam on the 7th of August 1833. This was one of the first colleries to introduce a system of square tubs; the shafts were filled with cages and tubs guided by wooden spears placed one above the other, pulled up and down by two winding engines.[1]

from http://www.dmm.org.uk/colli...
St. Lawrence Colliery

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://twsitelines.info/SMR...
Tyne and Wear HER(6989): Byker, St. Lawrence Colliery (Mushroom Colliery)
- "Opened 1833 by Messrs Todd, Dunn and Ridley. On 7 August 1833 guns were fired to celebrate the loading of the first vessel at the colliery. The shaft had been ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES