St. John's Castlerigg with Wythburn, 1848
JOHN'S, ST., a chapelry, and, with Castlerigg and Wythburn, a township, in the parish of Crosthwaite, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland; containing 499 inhabitants. The beautiful valley of St. John's is the scene of the poem of The Bridal of Triermain by Scott; it is narrow, and hemmed in by high mountains. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £63; patrons, alternately, the Earl of Lonsdale, and the Landowners. The whole of Castlerigg and a small portion of St. John's are now comprised in the district belonging to the new church of St. John, Keswick.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.