Spittle Township, Ovingham, 1848
SPITTLE, a township, in the parish of Ovingham, union of Hexham, E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 11 miles (W. by N.) from Newcastle; containing 10 inhabitants. This village is situated on the north side of the Hexham turnpike-road, and on a tributary of the river Tyne. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of 13s. 4d. Here is a mineral spring containing a considerable quantity of sulphur.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.