South Middleton (Wooler)
MIDDLETON, SOUTH, a township, in the parish of Ilderton, union of Glendale, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland, 2¾ miles (S.) from Wooler; containing 78 inhabitants. It anciently belonged to the Northumberland family; and in the 26th of Edward III., Henry Percy died seized of the place as a member of his manor of Alnwick, and left it to his son Henry. The township is bounded on the south-west by the Cheviot hills, and comprises about 1,600 acres, of which 700 are arable, of a dry turnip soil, and the remainder heath and green pasture. The road from Newcastle to Edinburgh passes on the east.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Not to be confused with Middleton South near Hartburn, also in Northumberland.