Topics > Cumbria > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Skelton Civil Parish > Skelton Parish, Cumberland, 1848

Skelton Parish, Cumberland, 1848


SKELTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland; containing, with the townships of Lamonby and Unthank, 788 inhabitants, of whom 314 are in Skelton township, 6¾ miles (N.W. by W.) from Penrith. Freestone and limestone are obtained here. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £43. 3. 6½.; net income, £294; patrons, the President and Fellows of Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The tithes of Skelton township have been commuted for £110, and the glebe consists of 33 acres. The church is an ancient structure, thoroughly repaired in 1794: it formerly contained a richly-endowed chantry. A free school, erected in 1750 by Isaac Milner, was endowed in 1817 by the Rev. Joseph Nelson with £1000, now producing upwards of £32 a year.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Skelton Civil Parish Skelton Lamonby Cumberland, Parishes and Townships, 1848 Unthank
Skelton
  Co-Curate Page
Skelton
- Overview About Skelton Map Street View   Skelton is a small village and civil parish about 7 miles (11 km) north west of Penrith in the English county of Cumbria. ...
Lamonby
  Co-Curate Page
Lamonby
- Overview About Lamonby Map Street View Lamonby is a hamlet in the Eden district of Cumbria, located about 7 miles north-west of Penrith and 2 miles west of the village ...
Unthank
  Co-Curate Page
Unthank
- UNTHANK, a township, in the parish of Skelton, poor-law union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 5½ miles (N.W.) from Penrith; containing 228 inhabitants. Extract from: A Topographical ...
from https://www.cumbriacountyhi...
Skelton Parish
- "Ancient parish in Leath ward, Cumberland, containing townships of Skelton, Lamonby (with Ellonby) and Unthank (with Laithes). CP enlarged by absorbing Hutton-in-the-Forest and Middlesceugh & Braithwaite CPs 1934....manor of Skelton held by Boyvill family from 12th century; divided after death of Helewise ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES