Skelton Parish

  • Description

    "Ancient parish in Leath ward, Cumberland, containing townships of Skelton, Lamonby (with Ellonby) and Unthank (with Laithes). CP enlarged by absorbing Hutton-in-the-Forest and Middlesceugh & Braithwaite CPs 1934....manor of Skelton held by Boyvill family from 12th century; divided after death of Helewise (d. 1272), wife of Eustace Baliol, between six heiresses. One part descended to Southaik family, who were of Hardrigg Hall, Lamonby. Economy: predominantly agricultural; limestone quarrying and lime-burning in 19th century. Several inns serving traffic on Penrith-Wigton road...."
  • Owner

    Cumbria County History Trust
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.cumbriacountyhistory.org.uk/township/skelton
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 months ago
    Viewed: 11 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES