Sherburn Township, Couty Durham, 1848
SHERBURN, a township, partly in the parish of Pittington, and partly in that of Shadforth, S. division of Easington ward, union, and N. division of the county, of Durham, 2¾ miles (E.) from Durham; containing 1,946 inhabitants. This place derives its name from a clear streamlet which joins the Pidding. In the record called Boldon Book, in the 12th century, it is included in Queringdonshire, and divided into North and South, a distinction now obsolete, as the latter district, which was probably the more ancient because it stood almost immediately on the brook that gave name to the township, is swallowed up in the possessions of the Hospital described in a subsequent article. The township comprises about 740 acres: the population is chiefly employed in collieries and limeworks. Facility of communication is afforded by the York and Newcastle and the Durham and Sunderland railways. Tithe rentcharges have been awarded amounting to £274, of which £150 are payable to the vicar of Pittington.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.