SHAWDON, a township, in the parish of Whittingham, union of Alnwick, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland, 7½ miles (W.) from Alnwick; containing 94 inhabitants. The township is intersected by the road from Morpeth to Wooler, and comprises about 1,200 acres of land, mostly arable, the property of William Pawson, Esq., whose mansion here is surrounded with excellent wood. There is a stone quarry. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £53. 2. 9.; and the appropriate for £1. 8., payable to the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. Two ancient urns of common earthenware were found in the neighbourhood some years since.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.