Shap Rural Civil Parish
Parish boundaries may have changed - for the latest map see the Parish Council or Cumbria County Council.
About the Parish
Shap Rural is a sparsely populated civil parish in the Eden district of Cumbria, located about 7 miles north of Kendal. The parish was created in 1905, when local government in Westmorland was separated between urban and rural districts (the nearby village of Shap being part of the urban district and forming a separate civil parish).
130 (2011 Census)
119 (2001 Census)
|Parish Council:||Shap Parish Council - a joint council also covering Shap Civil Parish|
|District Council:||Eden District Council|
|County Council:||Cumbria County Council|
This ancient parish covered a wider geographical area compared to the current civil parish. As well as Shap, it included the chapelry of Swindale, and part of Mardale.
Ancient parishes refer to the parishes before the split between ecclesiastical (church) and civil parishes in the 19th century. They had a parish church and often were composed of multiple townships and chapelries. In many cases, townships and parishes were originally based on the territory of manors from the feudal system during medieval times. Civil parishes were created following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1866, in which Church of England parishes, extra-parochial areas, townships and chapelries, became "civil parishes" which could set their own poor rate (tax). Then the reforms of Local Government Act 1894 established elected civil parish councils (or parish meetings for parishes with less than 300 residents) and created urban and rural districts. Boundaries of parishes and civil parishes may have changed over time.
|Poor Law Union:||
West Ward Poor Law Union, formed in 1836.
West Ward Union Workhouse was located on Home Lane in Shap, built in 1877 to house up to 60 inmates. This replaced an earlier workhouse at Eamont Bridge.
Under the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 parishes were grouped into Unions, each of which had to build a workhouse if they did not already have one. It ended the old system of locally provided poor relief which had come under strain as numbers out of work grew, following increasing mechanisation of agriculture and the economic downturn after the Napoleonic Wars, along with changing social attitudes. The workhouse provided those unable to support themselves financially with accommodation and work. Inmates were generally segregated into men, women, boys and girls.
The workhouse system was abolished by the Local Government Act 1929, but many workhouses lived on as ‘Public Assistance Institutions’ until the National Assistance Act 1948.
Westmorland, until 1974, then:
Cumbria, which was created on the 1st of April 1974, following the Local Government Act 1972. The new county absorbed Cumberland and Westmorland, and added some parts of Lancashire and the West Riding of Yorkshire.
West Ward Rural District (1905 - 1935)
North Westmorland Rural District (1935 - 1974). This absorbed Shap UD and West Ward RD.
Eden District (1974 - )
See also: Historic Buildings and Monuments in Shap Rural Civil Parish. Note: listed buildings are generally the responsibility of the county council / district council, rather than the parish council.