Topics > Northumberland > Seghill > Seghill, 1855

Seghill, 1855

Extract from: History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland...Whellan, William, & Co, 1855.

SIGHILL, SEGHILL, or SEDGEHILL, is a township and village in the parish of Earsdon, the property of Sir Francis Blake. The area of the township is 1,403 acres, and its rateable value £5,886. 10s. Population in 1801, 97; in 1811, 128; in 1821, 138; in 1831, 985; in 1841, 1,672; and in 1851, 1,869 souls. Sighill was created a district parish for ecclesiastical purposes in 1846, but for other purposes, not ecclesiastical, it still forms part of Earsdon parish. Sighill Colliery, in this township, is the property of Messrs. Carr and Co. It was opened in the year 1836, and gives employment to about 700 persons. The Sighill shaft is 600 feet deep, at the bottom of which there is an engine of 170 horse power, which draws the coal from the workings under ground. The mine ramifies in almost every direction, some of the passages reaching as far as Burradon, where there is another shaft by which visitors to the mine may ascend. The distance under ground is three miles, and over ground two miles. 

THE VILLAGE of Sighill is situated on the north side of the Seaton Burn, seven miles N.N.E. from Newcastle. THE CHURCH is a handsome stone structure, in the Gothic style, erected in 1848, and capable of accommodating 530 persons. A grant of £220, in aid of its erection was made by the "Incorporated Society for promoting the enlargement and building of Churches,” on condition that seats for 426 persons should be set apart and declared free and unappropriated for ever. The interior arrangements of this edifice are very neat, and the softened light which streams through its beautifully stained eastern window, adds materially to the general impressiveness of the structure. The church is surrounded by a burial ground of two acres, inclusive of the site occupied by the sacred edifice. The living is a perpetual curacy, the patronage of which is vested in the Crown and the Bishop of Durham, who present alternately. Rev. H. Bunbury, incumbent. 

The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have places of worship here. 

The Blyth and Tyne Railway Company have a station at the village.



POST OFFICE, SIGHILL - William Arthur, Postmaster. Letters -arrive here from Newcastle at 10-30 a.m., and are despatched thereto at 5-5 p.m.


Anderson James, schoolmaster

Arthur Wm. grocer, flour, and provision dlr

Barras Edward, tailor, Blaketown

Barras James, vict. and butcher, Blake’s Arms Inn 

Carr Charles, Esq. Sighill House

Colville William, tailor 

Elliott Joseph, grocer, flour, and prov, dlr

Embleton John, miller, Sighill Mill

Forster John, foreman smith, Sighill Colliery; ho. Sighill

Fryer Jobn under viewer, Sighill Colliery 

Hogg Ralph, joiner and cartwright

Hordon John, day school

Horsley William, engineer on the Blyth and Tyne Railway; ho. Sighill 

Hudson William, tailor

Martin john H. colliery agent, Middle Farm

Oliver Wm. grocer, flour, and provision dlr

Patterson Thomas, butcher

Ramshaw Luke, foreman engineer, and grocer, flour, and provision dealer

Reed James, farmer

Rutter Henry, smith

Stephenson Wm. shoemaker, Blaketown

Temperley Edward, farmer 

Temperly , farmer and overseer 

Thompson Gavin, land Agent, Middle Farm Turner

Isabella, vict. Rope and Anchor Inn 

Wallace Henry, grocer, flour, and provision dealer 

Wilkin James, farmer, Sighill Mill 

Seghill Earsdon Parish, 1855


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.