Saltwell in 1848
SALTWELL, or Saltwell-Side, a rural district, in the parish of Gateshead, E. division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 2 miles (S.) from Gateshead. This locality is formed of the side of a hill rising from the Team rivulet, and extending in an eastern direction to the turnpike-road from Newcastle to Durham. It is remarkable for the salubrity of its air, and commands fine views of Ravensworth Castle, Lamesley church, Whickham and Dunston hills, and the vale of the Tyne. Saltwell House is an ancient mansion, surrounded with wood, and contains a Roman Catholic chapel.