RYHOPE, a chapelry, in the parish of BishopWearmouth, union of Sunderland, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 3 miles (S.) from Sunderland; containing 868 inhabitants, of whom 423 are in the township of Ryhope. The chapelry comprises the townships of Ryhope, Burdon, Silksworth, and Tunstal; the first contains 1,570 acres of good arable and meadow land. The soil is generally of a light sandy nature, and very favourable for the production of rye, potatoes, and barley. The village, which is one of the pleasantest in the county, is situated on the verge of a fine tract of country, bordered by the ocean, and in the summer season is much frequented for the purpose of bathing. The road from Sunderland to Stockton passes through it, and the railway to Durham and Hartlepool skirts it on the south and east. The chapel was erected in 1826, chiefly through the exertions of the late Bishop Gray, then rector of Bishop-Wearmouth, and Captain Dale; it is a neat structure in the early English style, and cost nearly £700. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector, and endowed with the sum of £100 by Captain Dale, to which the Hon. and Rev. Dr. Wellesley, the present rector, has added £100 per annum. In 1834, a commodious house for the incumbent was erected by subscription, at a cost of about £600. The tithes of the township have been commuted for £210. 17. payable to the rector, £141. 2. to the impropriators, and £36. 16. to the head master of Kepier grammar school.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.