Coupland Castle

  • Description

    Information from the owners, with photos. "The Tower of Grade 1 Listed Coupland Castle was the last fortified building to be built on the Border. In earlier centuries it is recorded that there was a wooden blockhouse at Coupland for the inhabitant to take refuge in if the Scots came raiding. Long before the Tower was built the Coupland lands belonged to Sir John de Coupland who captured David the Scottish King at the Battle of Neville’s Cross in 1346. The present building now shows three if not four very distinct stages of construction. The earliest part is the main tower four stories in height probably built in the late 1580’s...."
  • Owner

    RJ Jell - Chimneypieces and Mirrors
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://rjjell.co.uk/coupland-castle/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 8 months ago
    Viewed: 379 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES