Tyne and Wear HER(1078): Fawdon Wagonway

  • Description

    "Fawdon Wagonway. Tomlinson records that a Mr Thompson put a complex of fixed engines on this line between the Kenton Bank and Hotchpudding planes, a distance of one mile and three furlongs. The engines allowed the caol wagonws to be conveyed over undulating countryside at the rate of seven miles an hour. It worked until 1826 when a new line to the Tyne at Whitehill Point was built (Brunton and Shields Wagonway, later Seaton Burn Wagonway - joins the Fawdon line at NZ 2481 7243). The Fawdon and Seatonburn Wagonways were used in the 1890's as the base for the Fawdon Railway, along with the Coxlodge Wagonway....."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/1078
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 9 months ago
    Viewed: 91 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES