DALTON CASTLE - List Entry

  • Description

    "Pele tower. Mid C14, repaired 1545, remodelled c1704, and in 1856 by Sharpe and Paley (drawing); reroofed 1907. Limestone rubble with red sandstone dressings, slate roof. Now 2 storeys, rectangular. Chamfered plinth, large quoins. Doorway in south side has double-chamfered arch and hoodmould; renewed 4-light window above inserted 1856; it has king mullion, cusped tracery under round arch with hoodmould. West side has small round-arched door with slit windows of spiral stair above....Built to resist the Scottish invasions of the early-mid C14; later served as court house and prison. Given to the National Trust in 1965. Scheduled Ancient Monument....."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1218342
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 9 months ago
    Viewed: 202 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES