Description"St Anne's Hospital was established in 1653 by Lady Anne Clifford for 'twelve sisters and a mother to help poor widows in Appleby who were prevented by age or infirmity from supporting themselves'. There are 13 almshouses set around a cobbled courtyard with a tiny chapel tucked into one corner. In the latter half of the 19th century the whole building underwnt some changes - the fabric was heightened providing each of the sisters with a bedroom upstairs. In 1961 the houses were altered and repaired to accommodate a bathroom and new kitchen facilities. The chapel is kept open during the day. The reading desk and the greater part of the seating is original mid-17th century work. Some more photographs can be seen at https://www.baldhiker.com/2014/05/06/the-almshouses-st-annes-hospital-appleby/" Photo by Marathon, 2018.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5914549
Resource type: Image
Added by: Edmund Anon
Last modified: 2 years, 11 months ago
Viewed: 174 times
Picture Taken: 2018-08-26