DescriptionVisitor information & history. "....In 1327 John Cockerham, Abbot of Furness, was granted a ‘licence to crenellate’ by Edward III, suggesting that he may have been fortifying an existing building. At this time much of northern England was troubled by Scottish raids, and the monks of Furness wished to establish a place of safety. They probably also wanted to monitor traffic passing through Piel Harbour on its way to their holdings in Ireland and the Isle of Man, and to protect cargoes from the weather, raiders and pirates. Quarrels over trade (and charges of smuggling) meant that the monks were not always on the best of terms with the king. On 4 June 1487 Lambert Simnel landed on Piel Island from Ireland, with an 8,000-strong army of mercenaries. The son of an Oxford tradesman, he claimed to be the Earl of Warwick and thus rightful heir to the English throne. He marched on London, but was defeated and captured at Newark by Henry VII and his forces. In 1537, when Furness Abbey was dissolved, the castle became the property of Henry VIII but was left to fall into ruins. ...."
LicenseWhat does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
Further informationLink: https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/piel-castle/
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 4 years, 8 months ago
Viewed: 419 times
Picture Taken: Unknown