Georgian houses, Thorney Hill, Kendal

  • Description

    "These houses were built c. 1823, probably by Francis and George Webster. They are faced by ashlar stone, ie with a smooth finish, except for the end one which is faced with painted stucco. From the left, No.7 has an eaves band just under the roof line, and the first floor window sill extends all the way along the front, except where broken by the French window and bay window. Is the latter a later addition? The dormer windows certainly are. No.6 was built for Nathaniel Bateman. It also has a first-floor sill, and has a door at each end. One of these might be to a through passage or to cellar steps. No.5 is similar, but only two windows wide. No.4 was built by George Webster for himself. The stucco work includes panelled pilasters, first-floor sill band and eaves band." Photo by Humphrey Bolton, 2006.
  • Owner

    Humphrey Bolton
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/168340
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Pat Thomson
    Last modified: 2 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 188 times
    Picture Taken: 2006-05-07
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES