Rampside St Michael

  • Description

    ".....The present church of St Michael replaces a chapel founded in 1621. It is set apart, outside Rampside village and on a rise with sea views. Although constructed c. 1840 in the Gothic style there have been a number of subsequent alterations, including a porch and vestry in 1866 with a new chancel in 1892. Apparently, an ancient monastic chapel originally sat in the grounds but this has long since disappeared. Once known as the ‘sailor’s church’ because of associations with the sea it has been more recently associated with the rural community. There is a simple and light filled interior space. The pews date to the 1940’s....."
  • Owner

    Diocese of Carlisle
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.carlislediocese.org.uk/church/rampside-st-michael.html
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 303 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES