MARKET CROSS - Alston - List Entry

Related Pages


Market Cross


Alston

  • Description

    "Market Cross. First erected 1764, rebuilt 1883; knocked down and re-erected in 1970 and again in 1981. Panel with original inscription now in Parish Church: "This Market Cross was erected by The Right Honourable SR WILLIAM STEPHENSON Kn born at Cross Lands in this Parish and elected LORD MAYOR OF LONDON 1764." ....8 monolithic columns with bell caps supporting pyramidal, graduated stone flag roof which has C20 lantern at apex. 3 steps up to original cross-site where replacement stone shaft carries central crown post. Inscriptions on shaft detail history of structure....."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1325968
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 234 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES