The Monument, Wigton

  • Description

    "Wigton was originally a wool trading town, but now its major employer is Innovia films. In the market place is an elaborate 19th Century fountain erected in 1872 by George Moore of Whitehall in Mealsgate, in memory of his wife. It is built of granite, and features four fine bronze reliefs of the Acts of Mercy by the Pre-Raphaelite sculptor Thomas Woolner. On the north side (opposite the Kings Arms) is 'Visiting the Afflicted', the east illustrates 'Clothing the Naked', the south has 'Instructing the Ignorant', and the west side has 'Feeding the Hungry'. Above each bronze is a small granite carving of the face of Mrs Moore, surrounded by leaves." Photo by Nigel Monckton, 2005.
  • Owner

    Nigel Monckton
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/60406
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 109 times
    Picture Taken: 2005-10-02
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES