Description"This church was built in 1788 on the site of a medieval church. It is Grade II* listed. An inscription in the porch states that it was built by Pattison and Holmes, joiners, and Nixons and Parkin, masons. The design is the same as St Michael's, Workington, built in1770 and St Cuthbert's, Carlisle, built in 1778. The church was restored in 1881 by C.J. Ferguson, and the vestry on the north side was added in 1912. The short chancel has a lower roof, and a Venetian east window. The red sandstone came from Shawk Quarry. Inside there is a Tuscan and Doric columned gallery, and a ceiling with decorative oval and circular-moulded plaster panels. In the former graveyard south of the church there is a late 13C two-light window from the old church." Photo by Humphrey Bolton, 2006.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/286321
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 4 years, 4 months ago
Viewed: 313 times
Picture Taken: 2006-11-01