CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT - Plumbland - List Entry

  • Description

    "Parish church. 1871 by J.A. Cory (in partnership with C.J. Ferguson), on medieval site and incorporating some medieval features. Hammer-dressed St Bees and calciferous sandstone with ashlar quoins, buttresses and string course....Tower has south doorway, and east side window which is C13 and reused from original church. Chancel has paired lancet windows and traceried east window.....Re-used zigzag Norman chancel arch. Unsigned late C19 and early C20 stained glass. 1684 wall plaque to Farish family and Reverend Edward Stanley, 1834. Chancel has late C19 stained glass and wall plaques to Ballantine-Dykes family. C19 piscina, the medieval one now in the vestry. Vestry doorway is C13 re-used...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1275603
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 137 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES