Description"Fortified house now farmhouse. Early or mid C16 incorporating part of a C14 tower with alterations, dated and inscribed over entrance T & M D 1683 with Denton coat-of-arms. Large blocks of mixed calciferous and pink sandstone with graduated greenslate roof and stone chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 5 bays with stair projection to rear making shape; originally a fortified courtyard plan. Top-glazed panelled door in alternate-block surround under cornice and voussoir frieze. 2-light stone-mullioned windows under cornices are of 1683. Confined fenestration is explained by adjoining courtyard range, that to right listed separately, but that to left now demolished, leaving blank wall. Rear 2- and 3-light stone-mullioned windows under hoodmoulds could be C16. Wall at left rear has earlier blocked window and is said to contain the remains of a newel staircase of the C14 tower, now demolished. Further single-storey rear extension is probably early C18. Interior has large segmental-arched stone fireplace in principal ground-floor room. Late C17 oak staircase with twisted balusters and broad moulded handrail. House of Dacre family which was exchanged with the Denton family for Denton Hall in 1507; sold by the Dentons to Sir James Lowther in 1774 and still in the possession of that family. See W.T. McIntyre, Warnell Hall, Cumberland News, 4 August 1934; Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, xx, p238. http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-72486-warnell-hall-sebergham" Photo by Les Hull, 2012.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2891191
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 4 years, 4 months ago
Viewed: 373 times
Picture Taken: 2012-03-25