CHURCH OF ST JOHN - Keswick - List Entry

  • Description

    ".... Built in 1838 by Anthony Salvin (1799-1881), architect of London. Salvin was a significant figure in the late-Georgian and early-Victorian Gothic Revival. He set up in independent practice in 1828 and soon showed his ability to create buildings in an impressively authentic medieval style. He is also well known for a range of country house work. The patron of St John's church was John Marshall, owner of a Leeds flax mill, who had purchased Castlerigg Manor in 1832 but who died before the church was completed. His descendants continued to patronise the church, adding aisles in 1862 and 1882, and lengthening the chancel by one bay in 1888-89, the latter to the designs of William Marshall, an architect member of the family...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1144666
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 9 months ago
    Viewed: 311 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES