Tyne and Wear HER(8270): Low Fell, Kells Lane, No. 99, Underhill

  • Description

    "Substantial house of the 1860's. Two storeys and attic. Three parallel ridges (slated roofs and fancy ridge tiles) with gable ends to road, stepped back from North to South. Snecked sandstone rubble with white brick quoins and dressings. Sash windows, varying sizes, central canted bay and another on right return. Conservatory at South-east corner. Entrance lobby on North return has engraved glass with monogram of Sir Joseph Wilson Swan, FRS. Sir Joseph lived at Underhill from 1869 until 1883, in the conservatory his most important experiments were conducted those to do with dry plate photography and engraving and in particular the making of filaments for the first practical incandescent electric lamp....."
  • Owner

    Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://twsitelines.info/SMR/8270
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 182 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES